What is a BER Certificate and do I need one?

As and from the 1st of January 2009 any person offering a residential or commercial building for sale or let must produce what is referred to as a Building Energy Rating (BER) Certificate to the person who wishes to buy or let the property.

To obtain a BER Certificate you will need to employ the services of a specially trained BER assessor who will issue the BER Certificate by using various calculation methods and software. 

The BER assessor will inspect the energy efficency of your building and will issue an energy rating.  The BER scale ranges from A1 being the most efficient to G, being the least efficient.  The BER assessor will also issue a report which will detail what steps can be taken by you to improve the energy performance of your building.

There is no set fee for a BER assessment and our advice would be to shop around to obtain the best price.  

*Please CONTACT US for a list and details of some BER Assessors that you may wish to contact to obtain a quotation.

A BER Certificate is valid for up to 10 years provided that there is no material change to the building that could effect its energy performance.

Implementation Dates:

New Residential Buildings:                       

·Since 1st of January 2007 all new residential buildings for which planning permission was applied will require a BER certificate when they are offered for sale or for rent.

New Non-Residential Buildings:

·Since 1st of July 2008 BER Certificates are required for all new non-residential buildings.

Existing Buidings (residential and other buildings):

·When offered for sale or let on or after the 1st of January 2009.